Your insomnia comes and goes? You need at least 5 hours of sleep? You want something fast that you can get without a prescription. Besides, you really don’t want to mess with those presumably “heavy duty” prescription sleeping medications. So here are the fast facts about non prescription sleep aids to guide you.
Usually, non prescription sleep aids generally refer to 2 types of sleep aids. They are the antihistamines and the dietary supplements.
1. How do they work? The ones used as non prescription sleep aids have been around for awhile, probably since you were a kid. These are the very drugs you take when you have cough and cold or allergies valium online.
These antihistamines are very popular not just because they are effective for your cough and allergies. You recover faster because the “benefit” of their side effect of prolonged drowsiness “forces” your body to rest and recover. In the same way, you are basically using the drowsiness side effect to get you to sleep, See more
2. What are they? Antihistamines used as non prescription sleep aids consist of 2 types of active ingredients i.e. diphenhydramine and doxylamine
3. Popular brands are:
- Sominex, Nytol, Tylenol PM, Benadryl (Diphenhydramine compound)
- Unisom, Equate (Doxylamine compound)
4. Side effects that are common:
- Prolonged drowsiness or hangover effect that impairs driving, etc
- Reduced alertness
Racing heartbeat and constipation are also becoming frequent complaints in this group of non prescription sleep aids.
5. Who Can’t Use Them
However, there are certain groups of people who cannot use the antihistamines as a non prescription sleep aid. As with any medication, they are not for pregnant or nursing women due to unknown risk of drug transfer to the fetus and young infant on mother’s milk.